MAKEUP BRANDS REVIEW FROM 90S TO 2019 feat. MAYBELLINE, FENTY, KYLIE COSMETICS, ESTEE LAUDER etc.

You know there are big influencer makeup brands that rule the world and beauty world is changing. Currently there are a lot of new cosmetic lines and thanks to Youtube beauty community there is a lot of drama and influencer money going on and the beauty brands change the game. They have to have big selection of shades of foundation and concealer, if they successfully release skin makeup products. Or they can not hang on there cause the youtube reviews are so very important. 

We did not have big youtubers in the past in 90s or even youtube. But in 2000s I was always checking Makeupalley reviews before buying a makeup product. If it works or not. Magazines were also influencing but not anymore to me cause sad truth they get paid so they write good reviews and even if something is good can not be in a magazine if the owners did not pay for ads. Simple as that. I did not know that when I was younger. But I am aware of how magazine ads work as of now. So a magazine does not effect my impulse buys anymore. I know they get paid. So as big instagram influencers or big youtube stars. They get paid and they use a product, so I am not buying it. That's why I like micro blogs and micro hobby kinda real people that DON'T GET PAID for ads. You should search for them and follow them :D

Before Kylie Cosmetics and even before Kylie Jenner was born, there were big makeup brands who are still strong in the game now. Maybelline, Revlon and Cover Girl had the best ads in all fashion magazine pages and teen magazines in 90s. They were the power brands. I remember every season being obsessed with the colours of their seasonal collections. My first ever makeup pieces are from Loreal, MaxFactor and Maybelline. As high end the most wanted and popular makeup and skincare brands were: Estee Lauder, Lancome, Clinique, Clarins,Guerlain and Christian Dior.  Dior ads were so beautiful. Estee Lauder models were the best. Paulina Porizkova and Liz Hurley were the faces of Estee Lauder. Carolyn Murphy was the most iconic Estee Lauder face in 2000s. Clarins and Lancaster sun protection products were the hype. Lancome had amazing mascaras, foundation (Photogenic) and skincare line. Chanel was the most luxurious line in makeup and skincare. Celebrities were using Chanel lipglosses and it was a must-have. Guerlain was also huge in France. I had a Guerlain powder foundation when I was at university and it was the most beautiful compact package I have ever seen all my life. Then indie type of newcomers were in the beauty game. Like Bobbi Brown, Nars, Mac Cosmetics... Mac was the most popular one, they were using MAC and Nars in fashion shows in Paris, Milan, NYC... Mac had a lot of hit products. 90s and 2000s were big success for Mac. Nars was the most hyped makeup brand. Nars blushes were must have with shades like: Orgasm, Dolce Vita, bronzer like Laguna and multiple shades like South beach, Maldives, Portofino, Cannes are all big hits. One of my friends was using only YSL Faux cils mascara and I used it for a while but it was drying quick and I could not deal with it. I am always open to trying new mascaras so why to stick to only one?



Maybelline upgraded their brand and going from the footsteps of Mac and being official backstage makeup sponsor of NYFW ended up with a better level in the beauty game. Maybelline is not that cheap anymore and they focus on better quality and Maybelline is kind of the new Mac in the game. Nars and Mac does not go further any higher its kinda same level. I love them and they still have all my favorite shades but there is no innovation or new colour hits. New celebrity makeup lines are getting more popular in the game like Fenty, Kylie Cosmetics and KKW Beauty. We know celebrity influence is the most selling and best marketing. Trust me I would have not bought Nars Orgasm blush if Jennifer Lopez was not using it. Who was obssessed with Whirl lipliner and lipstick before Kylie Jenner was a fan? Did you pay that ridiculus price for Gigi Hadid x Maybelline products like 3 times more expensive than normal Maybelline product prices? My waste of money goes to Maybelline Great Lash mascara as I was a teenager and I was after volume effect and it did nothing to my eyes as the mascara is known for natural finish. I tried it once and never used it again. What I use now? Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara and Marc Jacobs beauty's volume mascara. They work miracle. 

I remember when Mac opened their first Turkiye store in Akmerkez mall in Istanbul. It was so huge for me, and others came many years later like Nars, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier. I tried all those hyped products: some of them worked for me, some of them were overrated and I did not like them. Tarte came to where I live in 2019. Can you believe that? Morphe is available online and in Iceland I checked their palettes and bought one.

I also grew up reading about eyebrow expert of Beverly Hills and how all celebrities are customers of her. She created her empire with Anastasia Beverly Hills products. I bought some of her ultra expensive eyeshadow palettes and some eyebrow products. But I am not obsessed with the products. I like what she achieved and I like the brand but not a must-have level to me:/
I still like Nars and Mac blushes. I love MakeupForever. My concealer and foundation is from Urban decay. I love Huda beauty shimmer lipglosses. I still love Mac lipglasses and lipsticks. My skincare favorites are from Lancome and Clinique. I have Ole Henriksen products but they did not work for me. None. Despite alot of money I paid.

I want to try La mer. I heard good things on Lamer. But price tag Oh god!

What about Maybelline? I love the brand's evolution. Maybelline has Ok-level mascaras even Express Volum mascara has quite fans.

I love Jeffree Star as a youtuber but I can not use the very colourful palettes he has. I heard good reviews about his line and amazing quality. But I need more natural shades (hello everybody, how are ya?). Actually Jeffree Star is my favorite youtuber. 

I really like Maybelline eyeshadows and I am their customer since 1999. I also used many of Maybellines blush and lipsticks. I really like the lipsticks. I was not a fan of infamous quick dry nail polishes. But I loved their packaging.Their mono eyeshadows are so iconic and 90s to me. All their iconic ads with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Christy Turlington. How can I forget?

I'd like to try Kylie Cosmetics but I live in Europe and can not pay extra for shipping costs. I think her mentors did amazing job with her fame, what Britney Spears could have done when she was 17. Or many other teen celebs in 90s and 2000s. No one really knew. Even Kim K. so she did start her own line. 


Could anyone imagine how beauty and makeup evolved in the last 2 decades? 

What about Fenty? Big big success! I love the brand and I love Rihanna! I can rewatch her Vogue makeup video over and over again.

However I am not a huge fan of Fenty beauty's stick highlighters quality but I love what Rihanna did with shade range and makeup for darker shade range. I like powder based highlighters of Fenty. They are amazing. I know Iman did it first with I-Iman Cosmetics but we know Rihanna is a huge influencer and maybe Beyonce would come up with her cosmetic line someday. Fenty beauty is a huge success story that filled the gap in Sephora counter. You know Tyga's song Taste where  he raps: And my b---- want the Fenty, not the Maybelline. Maybe he was shading his ex Kylie and Kylie Cosmetics and Fenty is a huge rival to Kylie. Maybe not.

Price tag is so important to me so I can not pay crazy amounts of money for very very expensive brands (for no reason) like La Prairie makeup, La Mer makeup, By Terry, Natasha Dedona, Gucci makeup, Buberry makeup, Dolce Gabbana makeup, Sisley makeup, Charlotte Tilbury and Hourglass...


I know we are all sad Michelle Phan quit Youtube and we all miss her tutorials.
But there are dozens of amazing youtubers to watch and learn. For the next years I hope to see a Botox effect and blemish eraser effect foundation evolution. Why not? :D

I love makeup and makeup brands and all the new stuff coming up. I love my makeup collection and all makeup techniques I learn from Youtube and celebrity makeup artists. Yes. Listen to them. I would love to have my own makeup artist someday. (laughing)

Burcu 

PS. This article is not sponsored.









Comments